Thursday 18 April 2013

Motivated to get outside (and save lives)!

Every three years I need to re-certify my Wilderness First Responder certification. This is an 80-hr first aid course that I'd highly suggest to anyone who spends time in remote outdoor settings. We are taught first aid protocol from clearing spines to administering epinephrine, reducing dislocations and dealing with any (and all?) first aid emergency. The re-cert is a 24 or 40 hr course with the majority of the time spent outdoors practicing drills or simulations. 

I love these intensive courses for many reasons. I tend to enrol in courses being held in locations that I've never visited before, so there's a built in road trip, a new place to explore plus I get the opportunity to meet like minded, passionate individuals whose paths I find inspiring.

This week I've been in Squamish, BC staying with friends of a friend and taking the course at Quest University. The course itself is intense, 9 hour days of heavy discussion and practical applications. The first two evenings I hiked The Chief, a trail up to the top of a multi-pitch cliff. The surroundings here are breathtaking! As were the hikes themselves, 1.7km up 590m (peak #2, night 1), 1.5km up 540m (peak #1, night 2) with the trails including some chains and ladders at the higher elevations. 

I will be returning to Victoria tomorrow night exhausted yet impassioned. I feel ready to make some decisions and possibly changes in my life. Most of all I feel ready to get outside and be active! It is where I feel most alive, most excited and most productive.

(Photos to follow once I'm home)

Where do you feel you're at your best? How do you re-energize? And how do you best focus this energy (I feel a little scattered in my excitement right now so could really use the advice)?

No comments:

Post a Comment