Tuesday 2 April 2013

Nature Deficit Disorder


Yesterday, while reading my Women’s Health at the beach I came across an article that is very applicable to this month’s challenge. The article “Are You Getting Enough Vitamin N?” discusses the concept of Nature Deficit Disorder (see Last Child in the Woods by Richard Louv), that humans are spending less and less time outdoors and that this is leading to physical and mental health issues.

I worked as a wilderness therapy guide for about 5 years, during this time I experienced first-hand the many benefits of removing youth from their home environments and behaviour patterns and immersing them in the outdoors. They were challenged to view themselves in new ways and focus more on the immediate natural consequences of their actions. I’ve heard from youth that they continued to turn to the outdoors in times of stress after returning home.

Since moving to the city and working in a more 9-5 job I have felt negative effects of not spending the majority of my time active in the outdoors. Not only am I not as fit as I once was but I even bought a “SAD light” this winter to help combat the winter blues. I've also made the commitment to myself to find more excuses to be outside and to make time for extended trips.

How do you deal with stress? Is there an outdoor activity that you find particularly grounding? 

No comments:

Post a Comment