Tuesday 11 November 2014

(Re)Connection

Thanks El for re-starting the blog! (And for calling me out to write a post.)

My goals for November:

30 Day Calisthenics
I overdid this one in September (sometimes I jump in with 2 feet and little foresight) so planned ahead and made a calendar this month. One challenge was not enough for me so I compiled the Butt, Burpees, Plank and Wall Sit 30 day challenges from 30dayfitnesschallenges.com. Yes, I took before pictures. No, I’m not posting them on the internet.

Job Applications
I am currently looking to expand my career and am pushing myself to apply for a minimum of five opportunities in the month of November. The worst that will happen is I will gain more experience writing and editing the dreaded cover letter, and the best….


Roll My Kayak
I used to paddle a lot and I’ve been carting a white water kayak around with me for years. So I’ve joined a local kayak club and so far have attended one demoralizing pool session. About a decade ago, I learned to roll my kayak my first hour out, it’s now been seven years since I’ve tried and it hasn’t come back so quick. So I will continue to attend the weekly pool sessions and practice and I feel confident that I will have it back soon.


Reconnect with Me!
I feel like since transitioning to city-life and a regular 9-5 job I’ve slowly lost some of my passions and ambitions. Lately I’ve been pushing myself to re-kindle these and create more balance in my world. Primarily I am accomplishing this by spending more time outdoors with intention. For example last week I hiked a local mountain – I pushed myself hard and did not break on the ascent but on the descent I pulled out my camera and took my time to observe my surroundings and play. My favourite shot of the day is the one above - I love macro photography and was going in to take a shot of a mushroom when I realized I was interrupting this guys lunch, If I hadn't been taking my time and being observant I would've missed my Planet Earth moment (in my mind I could hear David Attenborough narrating as I tried to capture my find). 


Of all my goals this is the most important and also the hardest to define as a SMART goal – I think all three of the others are also sub-goals to this. The balance and connection that I gain may not be overtly measurable but I can say that I already feel that I am making progress.   

No comments:

Post a Comment