Tuesday 5 February 2013

Day 28 - Stretching

Stretching is an important part of my post-workout routine. I really feel it the next day if I haven't stretched appropriately after a hard workout. By appropriately, I am specifically referring to the types of stretches I do, and the length of the stretching routine. I have no hard and fast rules about length though. I just do it until I feel better, or, more often then not, until I have to do something else.

My first types of stretches are fairly simple. They are the stretches that we do in class after sitting down for a long time.
- We start by rolling our necks left to right, just rolling forward though, not rolling back.
- Then, we stretch our triceps, by grabbing our elbow with the other arm above our head, and holding it for a few seconds.
- Then we stretch our backs: hold your hands right in front of you, hold your hands, and pull forward.
- then finally, we stretch our wrists by holding one arm in front, palm facing a way from you, and pulling back on your fingers.
I think these stretches could be good if you have been sitting for a while, and working on the computer for a long time.

Then, my favorite post workout stretches usually involve stretching out my hips, and typically have a base in yoga.
- The first is pigeon pose
source: http://www.rockyroadrunning.com/tag/pigeon-pose/

- IT band stretch with a resistance band:
source: http://fitbie.msn.com/slideshow/6-new-ways-use-resistance-bands

- Hip flexor stretches:
source: http://www.footstore.com/injury/hip-pain

Then I typically do standing stretches to stretch my quads and calves.

The best way to figure out how to stretch a muscle is just to pull it in the opposite direction that it would usually flex (ex. pointing up your toes to stretch your calves, since they work to point your toes down).

What stretches do you like to do after a workout?

No comments:

Post a Comment