Saturday 16 February 2013

Paleo Day 5-wish me luck

as I let this gem sit in my fridge for the next 2 weeks:


My cookbook and infinite guide of wisdom- Practial Paleo- stresses the importance of fermented foods as an addition to the diet. It provides a recipe for sauerkraut (roasted jalepeno and garlic)- which basically consists of cabbage, carrots, jalepeno and garlic.

I am to check it every couple days make sure the cabbage is below the water level ( as thats where the fermentation process takes place). The second photo shoes the use of a shot glass to hold down the ingredients (good thing I re-read the recipe, I completely missed that at first). Apparently, It's completely normal for some mold to form at the top and I just have to remove it..eeeek!!!

This will definitely be an experiment. It is supposed to stay in a cool dark place, but lets be honest, the only cool place in my apartment is the fridge. Hopefully it will be okay without the dark.  I can't promise to eat it when its "ready" ;)


Have you ever eaten or made sauerkraut before? Are you trying any new interesting recipes?

No comments:

Post a Comment