Sunday 20 January 2013

Day 12- Checking in and re-assessing

One of the keys to successful goal setting is one's ability to assess and re-evaluate their progress when needed.

Take a few minutes today to look at the goals you set for yourself at the beginning of this challenge. Be completely honest with yourself. Have you been reaching your goals on a daily basis? Are there one or many of your goals that you have not been reaching regularly? If so, this is a time to ask yourself why that is. Is the goal too difficult, unrealistic? Is this goal not a priority for you at this time? Has something or someone else been getting in the way of this goal? Remember that this challenge is meant to help you create lasting habits, that will become a natural part of your daily life. Therefore, any goal you are having a hard time reaching after 12 days is likely in need of a re-assessment and possibly a re-adjustment. 

For example, I had set a goal of being in bed every night of the week by 10:30pm. In the past two weeks that may have happened twice, at most. When re-assesing this goal, a part of me had a tendency to start making excuses as to why the past couple weeks have been crazier than usual (back to work, jet lag, re-adjusting after winter break...) and to convince myself that I will find a way to somehow make my goal happen. Instead, what I decided to do was be honest with myself. Were the past two weeks really crazier than usual? Not really. Is 10:30pm realistic? Not really. As much as I really do want to get to bed earlier and continue to read more and more about the vast benefits of doing so, setting a perhaps unrealistic time for myself is only making me feel disapointed every night when I don't reach it. I have decided to change my goal to being in bed by 11 most nights of the week, and in order to do so I will drop whatever task I am doing by 10:45pm, unless it is truly honestly essential that I complete it for the next day.

Look over your goals today. How are you doing? Have you consistently been reaching your goals? What are some small changes you can make to your goals in order to ensure that you are? Remember, this is real life, and you are trying to create habits that will realistically fit into your lifestyle, without you feeling like you are killing yourself to reach them. We are only really accountable to ourselves (only on reality TV to people have money or the following stimuli to help them reach their goals:)


So basically it's up to you, and the point of this challenge is to make you feel better about yourself! How are you doing with your goals so far?

No comments:

Post a Comment