Wednesday 9 January 2013

Day 2: Try something new!



 Challenge of the day: Spice up your workout routine and get energized




One of the greatest obstacles for staying motivated to work-out is often boredom or feeling stuck in a rut. I was definitely feeling this way recently, a few months into a new job training had taken a back seat, especially strength training which I just didn’t feel I could make time for.

This changed over the holidays, when I had the good fortune of discovering a new workout genre called barre (thanks El!). Suddenly I was hooked, and super motivated, not just to do more barre work but to increase my overall strength (not to mention flexibility).  If there’s one thing I’ve always had trouble doing consistently its strength work. However, the barre workout made me realize that strength training can be more endurance based than a cardio workout, and is easily just as hard. I also felt like I was immediately working on correcting certain imbalances and weaknesses that have often plagued my running career. Finally, I had the distinct feeling that I was working out my entire body and could really feel each muscle group working and stretching.

Since my first experience with barre, I have been intent on continuing to challenge myself when it comes to working on my weaknesses. I’ve discovered a “total body sculpt” classes offered at my gym, and will give it a try tonight. I’m super pumped to try out another new class and hope it will give me the same renewed motivation.

Have you tried any great new workouts lately? What are some of your weaknesses that you tend to neglect or put off? Join the daily challenge and try something new today!


No comments:

Post a Comment